What is dedicated ip and how to get one in godaddy hosting
What is dedicated ip and how to get one in godaddy shared hosting? A dedicated IP (Internet Protocol) is a unique Internet address dedicated exclusively to a single hosting account. Normally, several hosting accounts reside on a single server and share that server’s IP address. Dedicated IP addresses are usually used for large SSL-encrypted secure websites and particularly large and/or traffic-heavy sites. Most shared hosting users have no particular need for a dedicated IP address.
Who Needs a Dedicated IP Address?
Most shared hosting users have little need for a dedicated IP address. However, a dedicated IP address does provide certain advantages.
Generally speaking, a dedicated IP allows you to:
- View your website via its IP address.
- Access your accounts by FTP or the Web when the domain name is otherwise inaccessible, such as during domain name propagation periods.
- Set up SSL protection on your website.
Why would I need a Dedicated IP?
There are many reasons for needing a Dedicated IP address. For example:
- Direct Access – With a Unique IP address, you can view your website using a hosting IP address, or you can have direct access to your website’s files using FTP or a Web browser.
- Updating DNS – When you update your domain name’s DNS, your site becomes inaccessible for 24-48 hours. This can cause major issues for you if you need to FTP or preview any changes. With a unique address (Dedicated IP), you can upload content and preview your website with no problems! All you need to do is type your Dedicated IP address into your browser and your site will come up.
- SSL Certificates – SSL certificates require a Dedicated IP address. A website that requests personal or payment information should have SSL protection, but SSLs require a static IP (Dedicated IP) to work. With a Dedicated IP, you are able to set up an SSL that redirects your visitors through an encrypted hosting connection. (Our SSL certificates include a Dedicated IP, so you do not need to purchase a Dedicated IP credit separately if you are adding a certificate to your site on your shared hosting account.)
What are the advantages of a Dedicated IP?
Dedicated IP addresses are very exclusive and secure, while shared IP addresses are not. Most domain names share their IP addresses with hundreds of domain names. Therefore, if one domain name causes issues, all of the domain names can be impacted.
Some search engines or ISPs will penalize an IP address if one of its domain names sends spam email. With a Dedicated IP, you can avoid the disadvantages that come with sharing your IP address with other users.
Online experts believe that a static IP or Dedicated IP address can boost search engine ranking results. Search engines like unique addresses because your domain name isn’t associated with or connected to other domain names.
How do I add a Dedicated IP to my shared hosting account?
To add a Dedicated IP to your hosting account, simply log in to your account and click on Web Hosting, and then click the Options button next to the account you want to work with. From the Customize tab you can select to purchase a new Dedicated IP or apply a Dedicated IP credit that you already have.
After you add the Dedicated IP, it can take 24 – 48 hours before it’s active on your hosting account.